May 28, 2014

Blog Posts Come To Life: The Holstee Manifesto


A funny thing happened at NY NOW this winter.  As I cruised aisles of 2800 exhibitors at this mega design trade show (formerly the New York Gift Fair) a booth display caught my eye. Something seemed familiar about the racks of letterpress cards.  Yet I could not really say what.  So I stepped in and began chatting with the exhibitor, who turned out to be one of the founders.  Still no reason why I would know Holstee, a "Brooklyn-based design studio offering sustainably made posters, cards, and frames that inspire people to live mindfully."  We had a nice chat, I turned to go and Fabian handed me a card with this printed on it:

The Holstee Manifesto.

The very same manifesto I wrote about on this blog in September 2010.  The very same one that sat framed on my desk for years afterward, which I still look at often to remind myself of the kind of life I want to live.  The very same one that took me months of backtracking through the blogosphere to finally track down the original source.

There he stood in front of me, co-creator of the most inspirational poster ever:  a blog post come to life.

The Holstee Manifesto, created in 2009 by Dave, Mike and Fabian / designed by Rachael Beresh, has since been turned into a video and shared countless times on social media.  It is available from Holstee as a poster or card.

This post is second in a Now & Then series highlighting what has happened to people and projects since appearing on Style Maniac over the last five years.

10 comments:

  1. I love the Manifesto, it certainly says it all. I know you enjoyed the show. When I had the doll shop, I use to go to the gift show. Keep up the good blog. Waiting for your book.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on that book, Aunt Elizabeth. Thank you for the continued encouragement. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Love this! How often we (I) forget to live it. Life is simple...we just have to remember what really counts. Thank you for the reminder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Doreen! How amazing! I also love, love, love this manifesto and had it on my desk. Come to think of it, I probably found it on your blog! Thanks for sharing. xo Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you did! It was also the post you and Beth featured when you gave me the Stylish Blogger Award. (Thanks again for that -- very sweet.)

      Delete
  4. What a fun story Doreen! The manifesto is inspiring. I want to read more of your series. I just read one of my early blog posts-maybe post 3-from 2012 and I thanked you and Shelly from Lush for being supportive of my blog. Isn't that fun? I had two followers at that point. Thank you for the support and inspiration. Happy weekend!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet, Heather. Glad I was one of the first to know about your great blog! We've come a long way, haven't we? Here's to all the great things to come ...

      Delete
  5. Doreen, I don't know how I missed the first post regarding this manifesto. It's just what I needed today, and everyday. Isn't it the best feeling to meet someone who has made a difference in your life, whether big or small? I was going through my blog roll, and stopping by all those blogs that have made a difference in my life. Naturally, yours is one. And, I'm tickled that Heather, Stylemindchic, had commented for the same reason on another day. "Great minds................". Have a beautiful week. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's blog friends like you, Shelly, that make blogging so very special. Thank you for the kind note and for always giving such wonderful support and feedback. And yes, the trio of us commenting on each other's blogs is so special. Chic minds think alike!

      Delete

Join our conversation ... add your thoughts, ideas and suggestions here. I love to hear from you, and read every comment. Thank you! -- Doreen/Style Maniac

READ MORE

accessories affiliate programs amazon boutique animal prints art aso damisi aubrie costello autumn kietponglert awards beach beaches bela shehu bentley meeker betsy bart bette midler big city bumpkin bil donovan black blog talk radio blogs blogs2books blue books brand ambassador brown budhi teencare bus stop carmelita couture carolyn roehm charities chef secrets for home cooks china cities claudia strasser cocktail rings cocktails concrete polish confetti system conrad booker conradbookerCOLLECTION dance decorate denise fike diane von furstenberg dress eat elaine de kooning entertain erte estelle carraz-bernabei events everyday style tip fabrics fall family fashion faux fur flowers friends gift guide gift wrap giveaway glitter gold graphic design green guest posts guests harper's bazaar hayden williams heartless revival hgtv holidays ifb instagram interviews iPhone jason brunetti jewelry joey campanaro jonathan adler julep kaitlyn doherty kaitlyn elizabeth kate spade kerri shipp lagos latifat obajinmi laugh learn leopard lilly pulitzer listen lists live liza hathaway matthews lois a wigs love mackenzie pikaart magazines make up for ever makeovers makeup maniac find melissa d'agostino michael brunetti michael cina michael gallagher michelle armas monet monthly themes moo moriamo johnson movies music my grandmothers natori new york nic*fish nicole fisher nicole miller ninobrand offices online art show orange paris patricia burns patricia larsen peter woolsey phashion mob philadelphia philadelphia fashion incubator photo by doreen creede photography pillows pink playlists press purple quote radio appearances ralph lauren ralph rucci read red redecorators sandra benhaim screwed forever sephora shakespeare shoes shop silver skai blue show spring squarespace style style icons style maniac sites style recipe stylish sponsors summer susan gloss the blogstress network the paris apartment the pennsylvania ballet the philadelphia collection the sandcastle project theater thoughts on home tina steele lindsey tino fonzarelli todd hunter travel trina turk tv appearances vintage wallpapers warby parker white wine winter work writing yellow zebra